I wanted to enable Application Insights on my WordPress web app in azure. Normally one can do this by go into the web app and install it first time you open up application insights. This way of doing it does not work.
So i had to dabble my feet into Powershell this week. Something i need to work a lot more on in the future. So expect to see more scripts popping up soon 🙂
What i had to do was create a script that would allow me to roll out an application to many folders under a directory. As this particular program does not “scale” quite well on users so we needed to manually scale out many instances of the same service on the same server. Now this was setup on multiple servers as well for redundancy. Now we created a folder on a share with the files needed and the config file.
So as i am starting a new job in less then 2 months, i thought it was time to move this site from a Virtual Machine running on my current employers S2D cluster to Azure. So i decided to share my way there. So i started googling on how to do this. There where some guides here and there. Some older ones and one from docs.microsoft.com, this one did not move everything. So i started with one, got a timeout error. Tried another did not work.
So we are having some issues with a REFS volume going offline, on a singel server storage pool if there is too much data being written to the volume in the morning. At the moment we have not figured out why. Disks are showing ok. Get-Physicaldisk and Get-Virtualdisk is ok. Everything says it’s healthy. And logs only show REFS being taken offline due to write error.
So a week ago we moved our fileserver shares to dfs shares. And updated a GPO that had not worked for a while. This had done so some users did not have a folder under the filseshare for users for redirect of Documents Folder.
This will be a short but happy blog post 🙂
In the spring we wanted to setup SSO with our support portal freshdesk. This did not work as we where using a custom url, and the Azure SSO was expecting oursite.freshdesk.com as the reply back adress and not our custom url. This was a limitation in the Azure SSO setup.
After the issue with DPM and Defender in one of my prev posts here we started having problems backing up some vm’s. The error would be Unknown error or The DPM service was unable to communicate with the protection agent on (Name of hyperv host) (ID 52 Details: The semaphore timeout period has expired. (0x80070079))
The backup is of a Hyper-V virtual machines on a S2D 4 node cluster. And it’s spread over all 4 nodes. Initially this was on 7 vm’s. Im down to 3 now as i write this blog. As i need to fix 1 and 1.
So yesterday i had to replace a disk on a failed HDD in one of our S2D cluster. After replacing the drive and removing the failed drive from the cluster i ran Get-Physicaldisk and noticed i had no disks with Canpool = True. This is normal as S2D will detect the new disk and add it to the Storage Pool to balance the pool correctly.
Almost 2 weeks ago our backups stopped working totally. It would just stand still and eventually fail. Today i was informed that this might be a windows defender bug with DPM. And i can confirm it is. Working with MS Support on a permanent fix for this issue.
I initially thought it was a Database bug. But it’s defender.
Update this is a Windows Defender issue not a database issue. http://jtpedersennew.azurewebsites.net/index.php/2017/07/06/windows-defender-issue-on-windows-server-2016-with-dpm/
This will be short, There seams to be a bug in the DPM 2016 database once it reaches a certain size or number of recovery points. We have 2 setup around the same time and both failed within 2 days of each other. The symptoms where backups just standing still not doing anything and if i open resource monitor of perfmonitor it would be slow and sluggish.