After the issue with DPM and Defender in one of my prev posts here we started having problems backing up some vm’s. The error would be Unknown error or The DPM service was unable to communicate with the protection agent on (Name of hyperv host) (ID 52 Details: The semaphore timeout period has expired. (0x80070079))
The backup is of a Hyper-V virtual machines on a S2D 4 node cluster. And it’s spread over all 4 nodes. Initially this was on 7 vm’s. Im down to 3 now as i write this blog. As i need to fix 1 and 1.
So yesterday i had to replace a disk on a failed HDD in one of our S2D cluster. After replacing the drive and removing the failed drive from the cluster i ran Get-Physicaldisk and noticed i had no disks with Canpool = True. This is normal as S2D will detect the new disk and add it to the Storage Pool to balance the pool correctly.
Almost 2 weeks ago our backups stopped working totally. It would just stand still and eventually fail. Today i was informed that this might be a windows defender bug with DPM. And i can confirm it is. Working with MS Support on a permanent fix for this issue.
I initially thought it was a Database bug. But it’s defender.